Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I'm such a Sinner

Like I said in a previous post I am messed up! God has a way of doing that. I've been really thinking lately, "Why don't certain things bother me like they should." Why is it that we are not bothered by the cross being removed from our churches and a mythical symbol (abraxas) adorn the foyer selling or giving away pleasurable drink. Now, don't get me wrong I love a good frappaccino from this company, but would Jesus be happy seeing a symbol of a mythical creature adorning the walls of His house? And let's go a step further, the cross itself. . .why do we constantly want to remember His death, when what separates us from any other religion is His resurrection. . .an empty tomb. I think we should all wear little gold and silver empty tombs around our necks or have a giant empty tomb at the top of our steeple. Maybe this is a little extreme, but do we serve a risen savior or not? Don't get me wrong the blood shed for the payment of our sins is extremely important. Another thing I struggle with is all the many gray areas that have invaded our culture. What ever happened to black and white sin. Oh if only sins were sin. Now it seems that everything is ok. Take for instance piracy. How easy it would be for me to justify copying my old VHS curriculum onto DVD's so that I could use it for ministry. . .I mean after all, we own the VHS copies and we need to use them for ministry, but alas they are copy protected and it is considered piracy. Even though I know a way around this, it is still against the law. I will have to say at first I was like. . .Go for it, you own the tapes and you'll be using it for ministry. ..who cares? But now I see I am truly a sinner. .. I want our ministry to be based on honesty and integrity and if I give in to this temptation, how easy would it be for me to justify something even bigger. I feel convicted that I even let the thought pass through my mind. And yet, society would say what's the big deal. The big deal is that we have let society mold our morals and ethics and not God. Oh that I may hear and listen to that still small voice. May I never lose that conviction of the Holy Spirit. May my eyes always be open with discernment. May I have the eyes of Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Deborah! I remember our discussion about the empty tomb VIVIDLY when I was working at the print shop with you. GOOD stuff! :o) How are you, btw??? Next time I know I'm going to be in the Shen area, I'll let you know and we can do lunch or something. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is extreemly hard to live in an all things permissable but not all helpful state of grace. It takes all the fun out of sin and all the measuring sticks we use on ourselvs and each other away.
    In the past couple years I have been made aware of how often I look for what ever I'm doing that might be sin. Even more often i hear the HS saying," Put that dirty thing( my sin preoccupation) down! I have things much greater for you to think on!"
    the blood isn't a divine halucinagen. Repentance doesn't blind or make God forget our debased propensities. He isn't shocked or put off any more than we are by dirty diapers and puke. These are things that just have to come out. So I quit looking at the things I do wrong. Hs is not shy about letting me know my naturally occuring essence reaks! When it happens I say ok take it away and I'm done. then I ask what should I be doing instead. the answers are frequently shocking. They don't make me feel holy or spiritual, only loved and well trained."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb!

    You could always write to the copyright holder and ask for permission to convert it. That would probably work :)

    ReplyDelete